Law Enforcement Officer
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston
CompanyFederal Reserve Bank of BostonAs an employee of the Boston Fed, you will work to promote sound growth and financial stability in New England and the nation. You will contribute to communities, the region, and the nation by conducting economic research, participating in monetary policy-making, supervising certain financial institutions, providing financial services and payments, playing a leadership role in the payments industry, and supporting economic well-being in communities through a variety of efforts. The Boston Fed is one of 12 Reserve Banks and we serve all or parts of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont. Our mission is accomplished through our Bank's values: diversity, equity and inclusion, innovation, integrity, and leadership.
This job is essential to Bank operations and will be an onsite role.
A sworn Federal Police Officer with full arrest powers to enforce federal laws and Federal Reserve policies and regulations to protect life, property and assets. Responds to incidents on Bank property and provide emergency services. This position is an essential function of the Bank and may require extended work hours and/or work during emergency or crisis situations.
- Operates as a law enforcement officer pursuant to the authority given the Board of Governors by Section 11 (q) of the Federal Reserve Act. Authorized personnel act as law enforcement officers pursuant to the regulations of the Board of Governors and approved by the US Attorney General (Uniform Regulations of the Federal Reserve Law Enforcement Officers).
- Controls pedestrian and vehicle access to the Bank facility, patrols building, grounds and reports unusual situations or unauthorized individuals.
- Proficiency in Weapons (lethal and non-lethal), first aid, CPR, fire suppression techniques, civil disorders, and public relations achieved through training.
- Exhibit good judgment over life safety issues (shoot and don’t shoot scenarios, discrete handling of detected weapons and/or explosive devices, when to employ use of life saving and rescue equipment, etc.).
- Proficiency in use of personal computer (PC) and related software, computerized physical access control systems, video surveillance systems, x-ray and metal detection equipment, various alarm systems and automated external defibrillators.
- Responds to general alarm, provides emergency service and follows response protocol until the alarm or situation has been resolved.
- Monitors Bank departments for safety or security violations and reports findings to department management.
- Prepares logs and input information pertaining to incident and daily activity reports in prescribed format.
- Monitors x-ray and metal detectors or utilizes metal detection wands to scan visitors, personal items, and packages for unauthorized items.
- Monitors and authorizes visitors accessing the Bank facilities and records visitor data on appropriate logs.
- Monitors surveillance equipment, radios, intercoms, telephones and other specialized equipment.
- Inspects vehicles entering secure areas for unauthorized personnel and contents.
- With assistance of senior FRLEO or supervisors, may conduct initial investigations into accidents and incidents, make proper notifications to shift supervisor in charge and perform follow up duties as directed.
- Ability to testify in court regarding actions taken, observations made and/ or written reports.
- Write clear, concise and grammatically correct police reports documenting any issue or event.
- Access law enforcement and Bank databases. Process law enforcement intelligence in order to accomplish the FRLEO mission within the larger law enforcement community.
- Performs duties as assigned or requested.
- Adheres to Bank’s attendance policies through regular and prompt attendance.
- Ability to follow defined procedures and work appropriately in less defined areas. Independent decision making and problem solving based on law enforcement training and common sense.
Problem solving skills:
- Interpersonal communication: Requires communicating well with people at different levels, de-escalating situations and people’s behavior, frequently sharing information with others concisely and timely, actively listening and understanding others point of view.
- Logical Analysis: Requires thinking through and solving problems. Working toward the best solution and not the easiest.
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferred)
- High school education or equivalency required.
- Must be 21 years of age and a US Citizen.
- Valid Driver’s license
- Knowledge of regulations, procedures and practices of a specific discipline.
- Ability to perform routine and repetitive tasks.
- The position requires physical capability to lift, climb and crawl along with the ability to work with their hands. They can be exposed to uncomfortable areas (such as crawl spaces) to investigate.
- Exposure to climate elements will occur based upon the task.
- Ability to lift and carry required equipment.
- Ability to shoot and qualify with the department weapons systems.
- Successful completion of the Basic Law Enforcement Course (BLEC) and the Field Training Evaluation Program (FTEP).
- Physical ability to pass defensive tactics training.
- Maintain composure and perform appropriately under stressful conditions.
- Knowledge of first aid, CPR, emergency response procedure to fire and active shooter.
- Ability to respond effectively to emergency situations within the scope of assigned duties.
The Federal Reserve Bank of Boston is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and to provide equal employment opportunities to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, disability, or military service.
All employees assigned to this position will be subject to FBI fingerprint/ criminal background and Patriot Act/ Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) watch list checks at least once every five years.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work required of this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or skills associated with this position or the personnel so classified. While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of this position, management reserves the right to revise this or any job description at its discretion at any time.
Full Time / Part TimeFull time
Regular / TemporaryRegular
Job Exempt (Yes / No)No
Job CategoryLaw Enforcement/Protection/Security
Work ShiftFirst (United States of America)
The Federal Reserve Banks believe that diversity and inclusion among our employees is critical to our success as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. The Federal Reserve Banks are committed to equal employment opportunity for employees and job applicants in compliance with applicable law and to an environment where employees are valued for their differences.