We are a leading financial services provider committed to making decisions easier and lives better for our customers and colleagues around the world. From our environmental initiatives to our community investments, we lead with values throughout our business. To help us stand out, we help you step up, because when colleagues are healthy, respected and meaningfully challenged, we all thrive. Discover how you can grow your career, make impact and drive real change with our Winning Team today.
Are you looking for a supportive, collaborative workplace with an amazing culture and inspiring leaders? You've come to the right place. We're looking for ambitious people who share our values and want to help people with key financial decisions and make every day better for people around the world. If this sounds like you, and the career below sounds exciting, we'd like to hear from you.
The Retirement Consultant (RC) works as a member of a broader team with a collaborative culture responsible for over $3.5B in annual asset retention including IRA rollover flows through educating and helping 401(k) participants who are terminating or retiring make good decisions about what to do with their retirement assets. This involves educating, guiding and helping terminating and retiring participants understand the variety of options available to them so they can make informed decisions. The RC works to understand the unique needs of our participants, educates them on the different options available to them and offers guidance as to all available options. The RC is well versed in John Hancock 401(k) products as well as John Hancock’s IRA product offerings, which include the JH Mutual Fund IRA, JH Managed IRA and JH Guaranteed Income for Life Variable Annuity IRA (GIFL). The RC also needs to display expertise in the various John Hancock investment options and the different education-based and advice-based methodologies that are essential to facilitating a rollover into a John Hancock IRA that best meets the participant’s unique needs. Using discretion and judgement, the RC will collaborate with other key roles within the Personal Financial Services team and strategically manage the volumes of inbound and outbound calls necessary to assist all participants with their retirement needs in a timely manner.
- Member of a unique award-winning phone-based team with U.S. Retirement focused on educating and helping 401(k) participants make good decisions about what to do with their retirement assets when leaving their employers
- Education involves discussing the differences, nuances and advantages of the variety of distribution options and available products to help participants make informed decisions on what might be the best fit for their unique needs.
- Present options and offer solutions that are aligned with what the participant is looking to do in order for them to make an informed decision.
- Ability to quickly analyze and assess the unique needs of participants, present options and take action accordingly to help participants with their retirement decisions
- Assist advisors from partner firms navigate through the distribution process; refer potential leads to plan advisors, as needed, per predetermined commitments to key business partners
- Become well versed in John Hancock’s 401(k) products as well as John Hancock’s IRA product offerings, which includes the JH Mutual Fund IRA, JH Managed IRA and JH GIFL IRA
- Become an expert on the various John Hancock investments options and different education-based and advice-based methodologies that are essential to facilitating a successful rollover into the IRA product that best meets the participant’s needs
- Assist 401k participants with opening or funding of a JH IRA account
- Work directly with financial intermediaries and ultimately channel assets into John Hancock
- Deliver a superior customer experience in a professional manner while assisting participants in their decision-making process
- Review the investment line-up of a participant’s current 401(k), and analyze and compare it to the various options within the JH IRA product offerings
- Leverage investment tools and methodologies such as John Hancock’s proprietary Fund Matching tool
- Expected to achieve monthly activity and productivity targets
- Adhere to the highest levels of integrity and professional conduct
- Participate in training and coaching development programs designed to enhance skills and provide opportunities for advancement within the RES role and other firm-wide sales-, marketing- and management-related functions
- Share successful education and process improvement ideas in a team environment
- Other duties as assigned
(N/A) This job description does not represent a comprehensive listing of job duties that are required of the employee performing this role. We reserve the right to change duties or assign additional duties at any time with or without notice.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 1-3 years of Financial Services experience, preferably in phone and/or sales type roles.
- Securities industry Essentials (SIE) Exam, Series 6, 63 required (and must obtain Series 65 within 6 months of hire)
- Passion for helping people on a one-on-one basis
- Spanish-speaking is a plus
- Strong listening and customer service skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication, presentation and negotiation skills
- Strong understanding of policies and procedures
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment to meet stated goals and targets
- Strong knowledge and understanding of IRA’s, 401(k) plans and investments in general
- Thorough understanding of the John Hancock story, products, pricing, services and procedures
- Good working understanding of 401k & IRA rules and regulations
- Ability to anticipate, meet and/or exceed customer needs, wants and expectations
- Ability to effectively communicate, build rapport and relate well to all kinds of people
- Detail oriented with the ability to prioritize and manage time in a multiple task environment to achieve desired outcomes
- Ability to affect other’s actions, decisions, opinions or thinking
- Ability to hold oneself accountable for personal actions
- Exhibit high levels of integrity and professional conduct
What can we offer you?
A competitive salary and benefits packages.
A growth trajectory that extends upward and outward, encouraging you to follow your passions and learn new skills.
A focus on growing your career path with us.
Flexible work policies and strong work-life balance.
Professional development and leadership opportunities.
Our commitment to you
We lead with our Values every day and bring them to life together.
We create opportunities to learn and grow at every stage of your career.
We invite you to help redefine the future of financial services.
Delivering the promise of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We foster an inclusive workplace where everyone thrives.
Championing Corporate Citizenship
We build a business that benefits all stakeholders and has a positive social and environmental impact.
About Manulife and John Hancock
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Asia, Canada, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2022, we had more than 40,000 employees, over 116,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving over 34 million customers. At the end of 2022, we had $1.3 trillion (US$1.0 trillion) in assets under management and administration, including total invested assets of $0.4 trillion (US $0.3 trillion), and segregated funds net assets of $0.3 trillion (US$0.3 trillion). We trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges, and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife/John Hancock, we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies. To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact
Salary & Benefits
Manulife/John Hancock offers eligible employees a wide array of customizable benefits, including health, dental, mental health, vision, short- and long-term disability, life and AD&D insurance coverage, adoption/surrogacy and wellness benefits, and employee/family assistance plans. We also offer eligible employees various retirement savings plans (including pension/401(k) savings plans and a global share ownership plan with employer matching contributions) and financial education and counseling resources. Our generous paid time off program in the U.S. includes up to 11 paid holidays, 3 personal days, 150 hours of vacation, and 40 hours of sick time (or more where required by law) each year, and we offer the full range of statutory leaves of absence.