Sr. Paralegal & Legal Resources Manager
We are a leading financial services provider committed to making decisions easier and lives better for our customers and colleagues around the world. From our environmental initiatives to our community investments, we lead with values throughout our business. To help us stand out, we help you step up, because when colleagues are healthy, respected and meaningfully challenged, we all thrive. Discover how you can grow your career, make impact and drive real change with our Winning Team today.
This position (a) is accountable for corporate governance of Manulife Investment Management Timberland and Agriculture Inc (the “Company”) and its subsidiaries and (b) assists the General Counsel of the Company (“GC”) and Legal team with investment and operational issues of the Legal & Compliance department to support the Timberland and Farmland/Farmland Plus business units of the Company.
Corporate Secretary Responsibilities:
- Directly responsible for corporate governance of the Company and its subsidiaries globally;
- Responsible for governance oversight of Client Investment Vehicles and Funds, including supervising and handling Assistant Secretaries who coordinate board meetings for the Company’s 150+ investment vehicles;
- As Corporate Secretary, communicates/coordinates directly with the Board of Directors and Committees of the Board of the Company;
- Handles corporate governance and disclosure matters, including production of corporate board mandates, checklists, votes, secretary certificates etc. Responsible for Company’s compliance with MFC Global Subsidiary Governance Policy and reporting to MFC Corporate Secretary;
- Coordinates and administers board, including portfolio company boards, and committee meetings, including the Company’s Natural Resource Investment Committee and Conflicts Committee. Responsibilities include but are not limited to establishing agendas, coordinating board materials/presentations, recording and reporting meeting minutes and other duties as assigned;
- Administrator of Diligent Board Books, CSC Entity Management and Blueprint applications which electronically store the Company’s corporate records;
Legal & Compliance Responsibilities:
- Assist GC and Legal Team in the review and production of legal contracts and documents, including confidentiality agreements and various vendor and consulting contracts
- Assist GC and Legal Team with management of all phases of acquisition and disposition transactions;
- Assist the GC in connection with all litigation matters and handle the litigation reporting;
- Assist the GC and handle audit requests and reporting;
- Assist GC and Legal Team with operational matters related to the Timberland and Farmland Investments;
- Assist Chief Compliance Officer (“CCO”) with supervising the Company’s compliance program and policies to ensure compliance with internal government standards. Assists CCO with regulatory filings in US, including Form ADV, AML/KYC, transaction monitoring and FinCen and OFAC searches. Supports other compliance activities including responses to request for production.
- Collaborates with CCO and Risk Management Committee on global risk matters, including but not limited to occupational health and human safety, licensing, environmental, legal and regulatory, etc.
- As requested by management, assists with planning and implementation of new Company strategies
- Independently investigate problems as assigned by GC and Legal Team, figuring out method of research, data requirements and analysis techniques, preparing reports and summaries as needed;
- Work closely and collaborate with outside counsel on various matters;
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required, in addition a minimum 5+ years of prior full-time paralegal experience in a professional organization (law firm or in-house); paralegal certificate strongly preferred.
- Experience in corporate governance and contracts as well as regulatory matters highly desirable; Experience with management of subsidiaries.
- Good social skills, positive demeanor and proven track record to optimally communicate at all levels of the organization (including the board of directors and senior management) and with all types of external contacts.
- Able to work optimally on a team and coordinate efforts across functions.
- Handle confidential matters and information with discretion.
- Organizational skills and the ability to efficiently manage several diverse tasks at the same time to meet required deadlines.
- Knowledge of Diligent Board Books and entity management programs, such as Blueprint and Corporation Service Company.
What can we offer you?
- A competitive salary and benefits packages.
- A growth trajectory that extends upward and outward, encouraging you to follow your passions and learn new skills.
- A focus on growing your career path with us.
- Flexible work policies and strong work-life balance.
- Professional development and leadership opportunities.
Our commitment to you
- Values-first culture
We lead with our Values every day and bring them to life together.
- Boundless opportunity
We build opportunities to learn and grow at every stage of your career.
- Continuous innovation
We invite you to help redefine the future of financial services.
- Delivering the promise of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We foster an inclusive environment where everyone thrives.
- Championing Corporate Citizenship
We build a business that benefits all partners and has a positive social and environmental impact.
This role is hybrid and requires 2 days a week in office.
About Manulife and John Hancock
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Asia, Canada, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2022, we had more than 40,000 employees, over 116,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving over 34 million customers. At the end of 2022, we had $1.3 trillion (US$1.0 trillion) in assets under management and administration, including total invested assets of $0.4 trillion (US $0.3 trillion), and segregated funds net assets of $0.3 trillion (US$0.3 trillion). We trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges, and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife/John Hancock, we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies. To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact
Salary & Benefits
The annual base salary for this role is listed below.
Primary LocationBoston, Massachusetts
Salary range is expected to be between$84,000.00 USD - $151,200.00 USD
If you are applying for this role outside of the primary location, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the salary range for your location. The actual salary will vary depending on local market conditions, geography and relevant job-related factors such as knowledge, skills, qualifications, experience, and education/training. Employees also have the opportunity to participate in incentive programs and earn incentive compensation tied to business and individual performance.
Manulife/John Hancock offers eligible employees a wide array of customizable benefits, including health, dental, mental health, vision, short- and long-term disability, life and AD&D insurance coverage, adoption/surrogacy and wellness benefits, and employee/family assistance plans. We also offer eligible employees various retirement savings plans (including pension/401(k) savings plans and a global share ownership plan with employer matching contributions) and financial education and counseling resources. Our generous paid time off program in the U.S. includes up to 11 paid holidays, 3 personal days, 150 hours of vacation, and 40 hours of sick time (or more where required by law) each year, and we offer the full range of statutory leaves of absence.