Credit Risk Analyst
We are a leading financial services provider committed to making decisions easier and lives better for our customers and colleagues around the world. From our environmental initiatives to our community investments, we lead with values throughout our business. To help us stand out, we help you step up, because when colleagues are healthy, respected and meaningfully challenged, we all thrive. Discover how you can grow your career, make impact and drive real change with our Winning Team today.
The Commercial Mortgage Credit Team plays an integral part in overseeing the credit and underwriting analysis in the origination of Commercial Mortgages for Manulife Investment Management (“MIM”). MIM is responsible for originating and managing commercial mortgage investments in the U.S and Canada on behalf of Manulife & John Hancock’s internal accounts, investment funds and institutional clients.
The Mortgage Credit Team is looking for a junior level analyst to support and collaborate within the Team and with the origination teams in the United States and Canada to assess the merits of proposed commercial mortgage loans and analyze the investment risk associated with those investments. The position is based in the Boston home office.
The Credit Team maintains a strong knowledge of the Company’s investment parameters, mortgage portfolio and market trends to underwrite, analyze and make recommendations regarding the risk assessment of commercial mortgage loan investments.The Team works closely with loan origination, closing/post-closing and the portfolio management teams.
The candidate will be accountable for a wide range of responsibilities and functions including:
- Provide analytical analysis, research, preparation of reports and presentations in the teams’ credit review and analysis of commercial mortgage loan submissions and matters affecting the loan after closing.
- Review due diligence items used by the regional office supporting the investment proposal.
- Conduct financial analysis of property, borrower, and tenant financial statements.
- Conduct portfolio and like type property analysis.
- Conduct national, local and property specific economic and market analysis.
- Gain an understanding of the risks associated with the investment and factors mitigating that risk to determine an appropriate risk assignment.
- Collaborate with senior team members to make recommendations on investment proposals.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Finance, Business, Economics or a related discipline.
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience in commercial mortgage lending or real estate investment environment, including analytical, underwriting and risk assessment experience.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills; ability to prioritize effectively, multi-task, and perform well under pressure.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to interact effectively and professionally within all levels of the organization, including Senior Management, front and back offices, as well as external stakeholders.
About Manulife and John Hancock
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Asia, Canada, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2022, we had more than 40,000 employees, over 116,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving over 34 million customers. At the end of 2022, we had $1.3 trillion (US$1.0 trillion) in assets under management and administration, including total invested assets of $0.4 trillion (US $0.3 trillion), and segregated funds net assets of $0.3 trillion (US$0.3 trillion). We trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges, and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife/John Hancock, we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies. To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact
Salary & Benefits
The annual base salary for this role is listed below.
Primary LocationBoston, Massachusetts
Salary range is expected to be between$57,450.00 USD - $95,750.00 USD
If you are applying for this role outside of the primary location, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the salary range for your location. The actual salary will vary depending on local market conditions, geography and relevant job-related factors such as knowledge, skills, qualifications, experience, and education/training. Employees also have the opportunity to participate in incentive programs and earn incentive compensation tied to business and individual performance.
Manulife/John Hancock offers eligible employees a wide array of customizable benefits, including health, dental, mental health, vision, short- and long-term disability, life and AD&D insurance coverage, adoption/surrogacy and wellness benefits, and employee/family assistance plans. We also offer eligible employees various retirement savings plans (including pension/401(k) savings plans and a global share ownership plan with employer matching contributions) and financial education and counseling resources. Our generous paid time off program in the U.S. includes up to 11 paid holidays, 3 personal days, 150 hours of vacation, and 40 hours of sick time (or more where required by law) each year, and we offer the full range of statutory leaves of absence.