Fixed Income Senior Associate
We are a leading financial services provider committed to making decisions easier and lives better for our customers and colleagues around the world. From our environmental initiatives to our community investments, we lead with values throughout our business. To help us stand out, we help you step up, because when colleagues are healthy, respected and meaningfully challenged, we all thrive. Discover how you can grow your career, make impact and drive real change with our Winning Team today.
The Financial Institutions Team is comprised of ten investment professionals whose work is focused on fixed income investments in Financial Institutions, Real Estate backed and Securitization transactions in the US, Canada, Europe, and Australia. The team has credit coverage for approximately C$21 billion in public and private bonds across the Manulife complex. As part of the Financial Institutions Team, the Senior Associate will be based in Boston, with coverage of US banks primarily, and other credits or sectors as deemed appropriate.
- Manage the credit quality of existing US Bank portfolio and other FI team names as required.
- Make recommendations on purchase and sale activity for the US bank portfolio and other FI team names as required.
- Maintenance of financial spreadsheets for entire US bank portfolio and other FI team names as required and prepare quarterly updates for all issuers.
- Monitoring assigned credits on a regular basis, following for example, news, rating agency perspectives, announcements of major credit events and regulatory developments; and provide updates to GA Investments.
- Prepare annual credit reviews for assigned names, and investment proposals for new investments.
- Work on ad hoc projects.
- Collaborate with peers in Toronto and Boston, especially members of the bank team, to ensure consistency of rating rationales, financial data, and spreadsheets.
- A CFA and a BS/BA Finance or Economics is highly desirable.
- Experience in Financial Institution credit analysis is required.
- 5 years of experience at an insurer, rating agency, bank or other FI is strongly preferred.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills along with an ability to think critically.
- A solid understanding of financial and accounting principles.
- Attention to detail and intellectual curiosity are critical success factors in this position.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, are essential.
- Ability to process large amounts of information simultaneously and respond to enquiries and opportunities in a timely manner.
- Comfortable in a dynamic environment that requires multi-tasking.
- A self-starter that enjoys working collaboratively in a cross-border team environment.
- Knowledge of the banking industry and capital markets is required
- Solid knowledge of PC applications (e.g., Excel, Word, and PowerPoint) and ability to retrieve credit information from online sources.
What can we offer you?
- A competitive salary and benefits packages.
- A growth trajectory that extends upward and outward, encouraging you to follow your passions and learn new skills.
- A focus on growing your career path with us.
- Flexible work policies and strong work-life balance.
- Professional development and leadership opportunities.
Our commitment to you
- Values-first culture
We lead with our Values every day and bring them to life together.
- Boundless opportunity
We create opportunities to learn and grow at every stage of your career.
- Continuous innovation
We invite you to help redefine the future of financial services.
- Delivering the promise of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
We foster an inclusive workplace where everyone thrives.
- Championing Corporate Citizenship
We build a business that benefits all stakeholders and has a positive social and environmental impact.
About Manulife and John Hancock
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Asia, Canada, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2022, we had more than 40,000 employees, over 116,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving over 34 million customers. At the end of 2022, we had $1.3 trillion (US$1.0 trillion) in assets under management and administration, including total invested assets of $0.4 trillion (US $0.3 trillion), and segregated funds net assets of $0.3 trillion (US$0.3 trillion). We trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges, and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife/John Hancock, we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies. To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact
Salary & Benefits
The annual base salary for this role is listed below.
Primary LocationBoston, Massachusetts
Salary range is expected to be between$108,000.00 USD - $165,000.00 USD
If you are applying for this role outside of the primary location, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the salary range for your location. The actual salary will vary depending on local market conditions, geography and relevant job-related factors such as knowledge, skills, qualifications, experience, and education/training. Employees also have the opportunity to participate in incentive programs and earn incentive compensation tied to business and individual performance.
Manulife/John Hancock offers eligible employees a wide array of customizable benefits, including health, dental, mental health, vision, short- and long-term disability, life and AD&D insurance coverage, adoption/surrogacy and wellness benefits, and employee/family assistance plans. We also offer eligible employees various retirement savings plans (including pension/401(k) savings plans and a global share ownership plan with employer matching contributions) and financial education and counseling resources. Our generous paid time off program in the U.S. includes up to 11 paid holidays, 3 personal days, 150 hours of vacation, and 40 hours of sick time (or more where required by law) each year, and we offer the full range of statutory leaves of absence.