CRA Mortgage Originator
Originate mortgage applications within low-to-moderate income neighborhoods and to low-to-moderate income borrowers. Participate in Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) related activities and functions within M&T community bank regions. Must adhere to the requirements of federal registration under the SAFE Act.
- Works independently to cultivate new mortgage business.
- Markets, services and promotes the bank's mortgage products.
- Regularly and customarily travels to and works at prospective customers' homes, businesses or other locations away from the office.
- Follows-up on potential customers via travel or telephone.
- Market bank wide proprietary CRA products, e.g., Get Started, with Retail Bank Network as well as outside organizations such as real estate firms, housing agencies, etc.
- Market agency related products (FHA, VA, etc.) to low-to-moderate income borrowers and in low-to-moderate income neighborhoods.Interviews applicants to collect and analyze information regarding their income, assets, debts and credit data as well as their needs, desires, and earnings to assist in determining whether the loan will be an acceptable risk; obtains and analyzes pertinent financial and credit data.
- Independently assesses applicant's credit worthiness.
- Has authority to issue pre-qualification statement of borrowers' eligibility.
- Determines which products best meet the customer's needs and financial circumstances and advises potential borrowers regarding the advantages and disadvantages of different financial products and the most appropriate mortgage loan programs.
- Makes recommendations to customers regarding other bank products or to alternative lending vehicles, as needed.Negotiates terms and conditions of loans with mortgagors.
- Has authority to bind the bank in connection therewith.Ensures lending compliance with all origination procedures including bank policies and procedures and regulatory requirements.
- Advises management on effective compliance strategies and potential modifications to corporate operating policies where appropriate to ensure ongoing regulatory compliance.
- Interact with various housing agencies and governmental entities focused on CRA initiatives.
- Stay informed of industry regulations and governmental requirements as they relate to CRA housing needs.Meet with potential customers to ascertain financial needs as they may relate to CRA guidelines, first time homebuyer guidelines and mortgage opportunities that lie therein.
- Represents the bank in the community and related functions to identify, develop and promote additional business.
- May present seminars to general public and real estate agents to promote additional business and community outreach.
- Regularly visits potential or existing customers at their homes or place of business to develop new business or retain existing business.
Scope of Responsibilities:
Facilitates the bank’s need to meet its CRA responsibilities with the federal regulators and the citizens of the community bank regions. Relationships will forge with local housing agencies and groups which specialize in CRA outreach programs.
The incumbent is required to travel extensively with limited supervision.
The position requires extensive external contacts (potential and existing customers, Realtors, etc.) primarily on sales calls outside the office, as well as internal contacts (other Bank personnel).
Will interact with individuals and teams internally and within the assigned community, developing new relationships and maintaining existing relationships.
Responsible for establishing and maintaining federal registration requirements outlined in the SAFE Act.
Supervisory/ Managerial Responsibilities:
Education and Experience Required:
Associates degree and 2 years sales experience,
OR in lieu of a degree,
A combined minimum of 4 years higher education and/or relevant work experience, including a minimum of 2 years sales experience.M&T Bank is committed to fair, competitive, and market-informed pay for our employees. The pay range for this position is $24.04 - $38.46 Hourly (USD). The successful candidate’s particular combination of knowledge, skills, and experience will inform their specific compensation.