Job title: Grants Manager
Location/Program: Boston, MA; Hybrid role with two days in the office (Tuesday and Thursday)
Manager name & job title: Christine Casalini, Director of Grants
MassChallenge is currently seeking a Grants Manager, primarily responsible for establishing and growing our grant funding to continue a robust philanthropic revenue stream for the organization. You will find a strong organizational commitment to fundraising, but Development is a startup team; a successful candidate will be an entrepreneurial fundraising professional who is eager to educate internal stakeholders about best practices.
The Grants Manager will oversee all aspects of MassChallenge's grant funding, reporting to the Director of Development. The Grants Manager will be responsible for securing grants by developing strong relationships with Government, Corporate, and Foundation contacts and working with the MassChallenge program team to develop competitive proposals. You will oversee the tracking and reporting of all grants and identify new funders to align with MassChallenge's mission, programs, and philanthropic initiatives.
Who We Are
MassChallenge is the global network for innovators working to solve massive challenges. We connect startups, experts, corporations, and communities to grow and transform businesses and economies. Our mission is to equip bold entrepreneurs to disrupt the status quo and to create meaningful change. Our mission is BIG, and thus, we are a team that gives 100% every day. Our guiding principles ensure we stay true to our mission and our core beliefs.
Why You Should Join Us
We believe working at MassChallenge is fulfilling because of the mission, challenging because of the pace and work, and rewarding because you get to build to the next step in your career. When you join MassChallenge, you join an incredible team and network of innovators and entrepreneurs, you take ownership of significant and strategically important projects, you focus on impact and output, and you help strengthen the global innovation ecosystem.
- Research and write grant applications to existing and prospective funders, including Federal, State, Foundation, and corporate entities with the highest likelihood of funding
- Collaborate with the Director of Development to build short- and long-range grant strategies focusing on major and multi-year commitments.
- With DOD, help manage the US portfolio of grants and steward MassChallenge's relationship among grantors, including organizing regular exchanges, briefings, and other contacts between relevant MassChallenge staff as well as external funder representatives.
- Keep up to date on the changing guidelines and regulations impacting grant management.
- Train and coach key colleagues across MassChallenge on how to effectively manage grants, including their fiscal and programmatic reporting requirements, the scope of services, terms, project closeout, and other related activities specific to each grant, as needed
- Communicate regularly with colleagues on new prospects, potential program designs, and strategies for identifying additional funding for current projects.
- Own a portfolio of funders to ensure strong relationships, stewardship, and recognition.
- Update Salesforce to reflect pipeline and award status.
- 3-5 years of previous experience writing grants, RFPs, and funding applications preferred
- Clear, compelling, and accurate written communication skills required
- Excellent organizational and project management skills are required
- Research skills required
- 1-2 years of Salesforce experience preferred
- Account management, relationship management experience preferred
- Nonprofit experience a plus
Our Core Values
- Founder Mindset: Optimism, Tenacity, Love the Problem
- Connect & Collaborate: Empathy & Inclusion & Fun, Build Community, Connect the Dots
- Progress over Perfection: Build on experience, Fail Fast, Demonstrate Traction
- $67,000-$80,000 salary
- MassChallenge offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a supportive working environment.
- Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with skills and experience.
- Internal equity considerations and the average salary of the peer range will be reviewed before making a final offer.
MassChallenge is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We seek individuals from various backgrounds with varying levels of experience who desire to do meaningful work. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, color, gender, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.