Director Corporate Subsidiaries Controllership
Director Corporate Subsidiaries ControllershipBoston, Massachusetts Finance & Accounting Job ID R14212
Director Corporate Subsidiaries Controllership
Boston, MA or Springfield, MA
About the Corporate Controllers Organization
The Controllers Organization is responsible for delivering on the foundation of credibility and control of the core financial information leveraged across Finance to communicate with leadership, key business partners and regulators on the enterprise’s actual results, forecast implications and strategic decision making. This work considers legal entity structures, distribution channel, and product results as well as how these impact our capital optimization and operating liquidity.
We are a diverse group of professionals experienced in and responsible for accounting, financial reporting, tax, policy and controls, cash operations, corporate finance data and systems management as well as wealth management finance activities. We are seeking engaging professionals with strong communication skills and deep intellectual curiosity to ensure the timely and efficient reporting of results. We not only perform the required activities. We are looked to as business partners who add value by challenging existing operating practices, strengthening controls and highlighting trends and insights.
This Director role is a newly created position that will be a key addition to our Corporate Subsidiaries Controllership team to provide oversight and enhance structure of policies over legal entity governance for our non-life insurance subsidiaries. The position reports to the Head of Corporate Subsidiaries Controllership and resides within the Financial Controllership team, a critical team within the Controllers Organization which aspires to be best in class financial stewards for MassMutual. This is an opportunity for an individual who thrives in a highly dynamic and agile accounting environment to collaborate across teams focused on solid execution and improving outcomes. We are seeking an accounting professional who wants to join a highly motivated team of professionals focused on proactively driving the development and execution of process improvements, meaningful analysis and improved coordination across the organization.
As a member of the Financial Controllership Team, the incumbent will be involved in shaping the future of the organization, supporting both the on-going growth and analysis within the Corporate Subsidiaries Controllership team and more broadly across the entire Financial Controllership team.
This leader will develop and manage a team of three MassMutual employees.
- Creates an environment whereby the team is inspired, engaged and motivated by identifying opportunities to learn and grow
- Manages priorities effectively and adapt quickly to achieve goals while developing efficiencies and established methods in the process
- Thrives in a complex corporate structure and comfortably switch gears and alter course to adapt to changing circumstances
- Plays a key role in leading a collaborative and inclusive culture by working closely with other Controllers teams, such as the financial close and consolidation team and external reporting to ensure the accurate recognition of accounting for various transactions and events related to the corporate subsidiaries
- Uses professional insight to identify and implement accounting improvements that increase the business value and efficiency of the team
- Initiates and/or leads increasingly complex projects and continuous improvement activities that may span beyond the scope of the team's responsibilities
- Responsible for leading problem solving to improve quality, close cycle times, increase efficiencies, improve employee engagement and customer satisfaction.
- Approves financial results and proactively supports the external audits of MassMutual’s non-insurance subsidiaries including venture capital, asset management, bank, technology, and holding companies
- Oversees the financial reporting and accounting implications for MassMutual’s non-routine transactions, including partnering with various Corporate Finance groups and creating executive summary artifacts for leadership
- Contributes to the completion of accounting models and transaction memos for financial transactions ensuring accuracy and compliance with the appropriate accounting regulations
- Partners with the Capital Management team to ensure capital transactions are properly reflected with the Company’s subsidiaries
- Develops, documents, and assures adherence to an internal controls, policies and procedure that ensures accurate and timely financial reporting
- Makes recommendations to continuously improve the overall control environment, monitoring the control environment of subsidiary accounting, including accounting performed by vendors.
- Effectively collaborates with accounting policy, financial close & consolidations, investment controllership, corporate tax, FP&A, expense management, financial reporting, capital management and other departments, as appropriate.
- Responsible for the close improvement efforts, including development and ownership of oversight model and issue resolutions as well as supporting development of subsidiary accounting team
The Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related major
- 7+ years of related work experience with a track record of increasing responsibility
- Significant knowledge and experience of U.S. GAAP
The Ideal Qualifications
- CPA, required
- Master’s degree, preferred
- Former experience in legal entity controller roles, strongly preferred
- Former public accounting experience and/ or experience with investments accounting/ controllership, preferred
- Strong analytical skills: ability to analyze financial data sets and tell the story of the data
- Proven ability to complete high quality work efficiently and increase autonomy over time
- Experience with M&A, different types of legal entities, transfer pricing, allocations, and consolidation
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships across cross-functional groups
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to express ideas in and articulate in an organized and persuasive manner to leadership, staff, regulatory bodies, etc.
- Able to work well in a dynamic and agile environment while leading the team in execution of various priorities and related deliverables
- Intellectual curiosity to continue learning and adding breadth and depth to understanding
What to Expect as Part of MassMutual and the Team
- Focused one-on-one meetings with your manager
- Regular meetings across Financial Controllership teams and within entire CFO organization
- Access to mentorship opportunities
- Networking opportunities including access to Asian, Hispanic/Latinx, African American, women, LGBTQ, veteran and disability-focused Business Resource Groups
- Access to learning content on Degreed and other informational platforms
- Your ethics and integrity will be valued by a company with a strong and stable ethical business with industry leading pay and benefits
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us and share the specifics of the assistance you need.