Investment Tax Operations Lead
Investment Tax Operations LeadSpringfield, Massachusetts Finance & Accounting Job ID R14069
ABOUT THE CORPORATE CONTROLLER ORGANIZATION:
The Controllers Organization is responsible for delivering on the foundation of credibility and control of the core financial information leveraged across Finance to communicate with leadership, key business partners and regulators on the enterprise’s actual results, forecast implications and strategic decision making. This work considers legal entity structures, distribution channel and product results as well as how these impact our capital optimization and operating liquidity.
We are a diverse group of professionals experienced in and responsible for accounting, financial reporting, tax, policy and controls, cash operations, corporate finance data and systems management as well as wealth management finance activities. We are seeking engaging professionals with strong communication skills and deep intellectual curiosity to ensure the timely and efficient reporting of results. We not only perform the required activities. We are looked to as business partners who add value by challenging existing operating practices strengthening controls and highlighting trends and insights.
At MassMutual, we’re passionate about helping millions of people find financial freedom and this passion has driven our approach to developing highly interactive digital experiences for our customers. As a member of the Corporate Tax Department, you’ll have an opportunity to join an engaged team of professionals who work to reduce the Company’s exposure to tax risks, support M&A transactions, provide high-quality tax advice, and satisfy tax accounting, reporting, and compliance requirements.
As the Investment Tax Operations Lead, you will be a member of the tax leadership team within the Corporate Tax Department, part of MassMutual’s Controllers organization. The Corporate Tax Department is comprised of high-performing, collaborative, and agile tax professionals who are motivated by challenging work that delivers sustained value and a culture of accountability. Team members are focused on continuous improvement and transforming the department through innovative solutions that align with the finance organization’s strategic goals and initiatives.
This role will report to the Head of Corporate Tax, a part of the Corporate Tax Department within Corporate Controllers. The team is responsible for all aspects of investment tax work, including federal tax compliance, GAAP and Statutory tax accounting and reporting, investment transactions, and income tax planning and forecasting.
What great looks like in this role
Our ideal candidate is a leader with excellent communication skills and strong investment tax technical knowledge and analytical skills. You’ll use your skills to influence change, solve issues, and create efficiencies while directing team efforts to support tax compliance, accounting, and financial reporting initiatives related to all investment asset classes.
Objectives of this role
- Interacts regularly with tax department leads including participation in tax leadership meetings to provide consultation, influence, and resolution of complex issues
- Drives continuous improvement and efficiencies
- Anticipates changes, looks for trends and directs or redirects efforts
Daily and monthly responsibilities
- Manage investment tax activities including, statutory and GAAP tax reporting for all investment asset classes, federal tax compliance, validate investment deferred tax balances, support IRS audits pertaining to investment tax
- Effectively manage the Investment Tax Team; manage priorities, oversee development, ensure deliverables are timely met, evaluate resource needs and submit/support recommendations to enhance ITU organization
- Serve as a member of the Tax Leadership Team, actively participate in the development of department goals and priorities, develop and monitor key performance metrics, and support strategic initiatives
- Serve as technical expert on investment tax matters; evaluate and mitigate tax risks, research technical issues/questions, assess uncertain tax positions and manage ad hoc requests from the businesses and Corporate Finance
- Coordinate with Investment Tax Projects Lead to support projects and process improvement initiatives
- Coordinate with Tax Planning and Corporate Law on legislative developments impacting investment taxes, assist with modeling / evaluating potential impacts
- Participate in industry working groups and advocacy efforts related to investment tax
- Develop a strong working relationship with internal and external clients
- Collaborate with external auditors to provide support throughout audit cycle
Skills and qualifications
- Degree in Accounting/Finance
- 10+ years of tax accounting and compliance experience
- Strong investment tax knowledge covering a range of investment classes including securities, derivatives and partnerships
- Strong time and project management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to identify issues and recommend effective solutions
- Strong interpersonal skills: ability to interact and collaborate within the Tax department and across the Company
- Excellent organizational skills, experience managing a diverse workload and skilled at prioritizing
- CPA or MST highly desirable
- Strong computer skills, including tax compliance software, GL systems and research software
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us and share the specifics of the assistance you need.