Springfield, MA or Boston, MA
About the Corporate Controller Organization:
The Controllers Organization is responsible for delivering on the foundation of credibility and control of the core financial information leveraged across Finance to communicate with leadership, key business partners and regulators on the enterprise’s actual results, forecast implications and strategic decision making. This work considers legal entity structures, distribution channel, and product results as well as how these impact our capital optimization and operating liquidity.
We are a diverse group of professionals experienced in and responsible for accounting, financial reporting, tax, policy and controls, cash operations, corporate finance data and systems management as well as wealth management finance activities. We are seeking engaging professionals with strong communication skills and deep intellectual curiosity to ensure the timely and efficient reporting of results. We not only perform the required activities. We are looked to as business partners who add value by challenging existing operating practices strengthening controls and highlighting trends and insights.
This Investment Accountant role is a newly created position that will be a key addition to our Investment Controllership team. The position reports to the Director of Securities Accounting and Controllership and resides within the Financial Controllership team, a critical team within the Controllers Organization which aspires to be best in class financial stewards for MassMutual. This is an opportunity for an individual who thrives in a highly dynamic and agile accounting environment to collaborate across teams focused on solid execution and improving outcomes. We are seeking an accounting professional who wants to join a highly motivated team of professionals focused on proactively driving the development and execution of process improvements, meaningful analysis and improved coordination with the business partners for Investment activities.
As a member of the Financial Controllership Team, the incumbent will be involved in shaping the future of the organization, supporting both the on-going growth and analysis within the Investment Controllership team and other key initiatives.
- Creates an environment whereby the team is inspired, engaged and motivated by identifying opportunities to learn and grow.
- Manages priorities effectively and adapt quickly to achieve goals while developing efficiencies and established methods in the process.
- Thrives in a complex corporate structure and comfortably switch gears and alter course to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Plays a key role in leading a collaborative and inclusive culture by working closely with Investment Management.
- Actively participate in the implementation of the Company’s new ledger.
- Responsible for ongoing activities as part of the monthly, quarterly, and annual close cycles.
- Participates in creating or reviewing, analyzing, and presenting monthly financial analysis reports to senior management.
- Performs or reviews reconciliations of investment data for ledger tie outs. Reviews periodic journal entries.
- Analyze financial reports and investment data for trends and impacts to investment values and P&L activity.
- Support annual regulatory financial statement audit requests. Participate in auditor discussions.
- Uses professional insight to identify and implement accounting improvements that increase the business value and efficiency of the team.
- Initiates and/or leads increasingly complex continuous improvement activities.
- Participating in problem solving to improve quality, cycle times, increase efficiencies, improve employee engagement and customer satisfaction within the Securities team.
- Makes recommendations to continuously improve the overall control environment of the securities team.
The Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related major
- 6+ years of related work experience with a track record of increasing responsibility
- Significant knowledge and experience of U.S. GAAP. STAT experience a plus.
The Ideal Qualifications
- CPA or CFA preferred
- Master’s degree preferred
- Knowledge and experience of investments
- Strong analytical skills: ability to analyze financial data sets and tell the story of the data
- Proven ability to complete high quality work efficiently and increase autonomy over time
- Experience analyzing new investments and accounting guidance to drive appropriate and preferred investment accounting and reporting across the Company and subsidiaries
- Experience with system implementations preferred
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships across cross-functional groups
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to express ideas in and articulate in an organized and persuasive manner to leadership, and staff, etc.
- Able to work well in a dynamic and agile environment while leading the team in execution of various priorities and related deliverables
- Intellectual curiosity to continue learning and adding breadth and depth to understanding
What to Expect as Part of MassMutual and the Team
- Regular meetings with the Investment Controllership team
- Focused one-on-one meetings with your manager
- Access to mentorship opportunities
- Networking opportunities including access to Asian, Hispanic/Latinx, African American, women, LGBTQ, veteran and disability-focused Business Resource Groups
- Access to learning content on Degreed and other informational platforms
- Your ethics and integrity will be valued by a company with a strong and stable ethical business with industry leading pay and benefits
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us and share the specifics of the assistance you need.