Expense Accounting Associate II
This role in Expense Accounting is about transforming accounting data into information. You will be aggregating expense data from the entire organization and crafting the story within the numbers for senior leadership. Relationship building, partnering and data queries will be your building blocks while performing the accounting analysis for expenses, intercompany, management fees accounting, fixed assets support, reporting and analysis
The expense team is responsible for ensuring the accuracy and integrity of the ledgers for all expense accounts. Where we don’t directly control the expenses, we partner with others to validate the amounts and understand any changes. As a team we are accountable for leases, fixed and intangible assets, select inventory accounts, impairments, intercompany management fee agreements, financial exhibits, select footnotes, quarterly expense commentaries for both GAAP and STAT, and general support and training to cost centers owners.
This role is being created to provide detailed expense insights. You will create MassMutual’s expense story, establishing our trends, culling out one-time events and sharing material observations. On a daily basis you will alternate between building comprehensive data queries from SAP and confirming observations with our business partners and learning from them. This roll requires a combination of communication skills, business acumen and courage as you build trust with our business partners to craft what can be sensitive expense impacts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
• Performing basic expense accounting procedures, e.g. expense accruals, journal entries, roll forward reconciliation, and reporting
• Preparing monthly and quarterly reports and analysis
• Prepare and participate in the monthly review of the expense flux analysis
• Able to create and provide report to Management Team summarizing management fees accounting and balances
• Prepare and provide the financial reporting team expenses analysis
• Analyzing and reconciling general ledger balances and transactions in conjunction with preparing monthly and quarterly reports for management
• Producing financial data for management team upon request and assisting with other special accounting projects from time to time
• Performing expenses flux analysis and monthly matrix
• Serve as the back up to other accounting functions of the Operating expenses team
The Minimum Qualifications
- A bachelor's degree in Accounting
- 5+ years of related accounting experience
The Ideal Qualifications
- 8+ year of progressive accounting experience in a variety of expense roles
- Demonstrated experience navigating GAAP and Statutory expense practices.
- Experience with intercompany accounting and consolidations
- Experience with data query tools like SAP Business Warehouse, Analysis for Office, Hyperion, or similar tools
- SAP S4 Hana with SAC and AO experience
- Hands on experience creating and supporting journal entries, reconciling accounts, and working with accounting controls.
- Previous experience with month-end, quarter close and year end accounting cycles.
- Previous experience writing accounting memorandums, summarizing data, and presenting accounting results to senior leadership.
- Ability to create and evolve new processes.
- Prior experience advising and teaching accounting concepts and processes to non-accounting business partners.
- Strong organization, oral and written communication skills
- Experience working and leading sourced teams
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Strong computer aptitude, which includes expertise with Microsoft Excel and Word as well as experience with accounting software and SAP general ledgers
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Strong attention to customer service and quality results
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate on improvements
- Monitor key controls to mitigate risk
- Analytical skills with particular attention to detail
What to Expect as Part of MassMutual and the Team
- Regular meetings with the Expense Accounting Team
- Focused one-on-one meetings with your manager
- Access to mentorship opportunities
- Networking opportunities including access to Asian, Hispanic/Latinx, African American, women, LGBTQ, veteran and disability-focused Business Resource Groups
- Access to learning content on Degreed and other informational platforms
- Your ethics and integrity will be valued by a company with a strong and stable ethical business with industry leading pay and benefits
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us and share the specifics of the assistance you need.