Director, Direct Private Investments
This Director role will be responsible for the evaluation, diligence and investment thesis, and on-going monitoring of MassMutual Investment Management’s portfolio of direct private investments, including private debt. The Direct Private Investments (“DPI”) team currently sits within MassMutual Investment Management’s Alternative Investments group. The DPI team is expected to transition to MassMutual’s global investment manager subsidiary, Barings, over the next six months approximately. DPI originates customized, proprietary senior secured loans to major investment organizations across a wide range of asset classes. The DPI team has originated over $35 billion in private investments over the last six years. These loans are highly negotiated and often involve complex structuring across various global jurisdictions.
The team is small, close-knit, and highly collaborative. The Director will be a critical full-time member of the team. Team members are motivated by a shared goal to originate attractive investment opportunities for MassMutual’s GIA. The Director will support all aspects of the DPI platform, including working closely with portfolio managers, investment analysts, structuring leads, other team members across the Investment Management group as well as external partners including legal counsel.
The Director will provide a driving role in the structuring, underwriting, approval, closing, and ongoing monitoring of complex transactions that generate attractive risk-adjusted returns for MassMutual’s GIA while addressing the unique financing needs of our partners, who are typically world-class alternative investment managers or specialty finance companies. Although this position does not have direct reports, the Director will provide coaching, feedback, and leadership to the Investment Analysts.
The Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of experience in: investment banking, private equity, credit hedge fund, private credit, or other alternative investment experience
The Ideal Qualifications
- Significant professional experience working on complex negotiated transactions
- Experience working with at least one alternative asset class and a good understanding of the risks and operations of others across the alternative investment landscape
- Comfort negotiating legal documents, including having a good understanding of what is appropriate in each transaction
- Deal underwriting and execution experience, including assisting the negotiation of financing terms; drafting, negotiation, and review of transaction documentation; preparation of investment approval documentation and working with operations and on-boarding teams to structure around each transaction’s unique implementation issues and reporting
- Strong computer skills including experience with financial applications including proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Power Point and Word)
- Ability to work closely with portfolio managers and senior management
- Ability and openness to understanding operational, accounting, and legal aspects of investments
- Passion in finance / investments, with a strong understanding of accounting principles
- Comfortable working with and making investment decisions using concepts of leverage in a corporate debt context (e.g., Debt / EBITDA) and in a real estate debt context (e.g., LTV, DSCR, Debt Yield)
- Deep understanding of the roles, responsibilities and motivations of the primary participants in the investment management ecosystem
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, to succeed in a fast-paced, team environment
- Ability to conduct initial and on-going research, analysis and due diligence of various asset classes and understand the risks associated with each
- Demonstrate strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and ability to multitask and deliver work products on short timeframes
What to Expect as Part of MassMutual and the Team
- Regular meetings with the Direct Private Investments (“DPI”) team
- Focused one-on-one meetings with your manager
- Access to mentorship and other training opportunities
- Networking opportunities including access to Asian, Hispanic/Latinx, African American, women, LGBTQ, Veteran and disability-focused Business Resource Groups
- Access to learning content on Degreed and other informational platforms
- Your ethics and integrity will be valued by a company with a strong and stable ethical business with industry leading pay and benefits
We’ve been around since 1851. During our history, we’ve helped millions of people find financial freedom, offer financial protection, and plan for the future.
Today, we continue to develop meaningful relationships with our customers by building their trust, being knowledge problem solvers and always prioritizing their needs. MassMutual is guided by a single purpose: We help people secure their future and protect the ones they love. As a company owned by our policyowners, we are defined by mutuality and our vision to put customers first. It’s more than our company structure – it’s our way of life.
MassMutual was recognized as an Ethisphere 2020 World’s Most Ethical Company, a Top Place to Work in 2020 according to The Boston Globe and named among America’s Best Employers for Diversity according to Forbes 2020.
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status
MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us and share the specifics of the assistance you need.