1L Clerk, Diversity Clerkship Program - Summer 2024
1L Clerk, Diversity Clerkship Program - Summer 2024Springfield, Massachusetts General Job ID R14556
1L Clerk, Diversity Clerkship Program Intern, Legal Operations
Summer 2024 (8 weeks) Full Time/40 hours a week
Springfield, MA and/or Boston, MA (Hybrid Opportunities)
*We are hiring for our Springfield, MA or Boston, MA office location in a Hybrid setting where you will be onsite 3 days per week*
1L Clerk, Diversity Clerkship Program
Springfield, MA and Boston, MA (hybrid opportunities)
This program is an 8-week summer program with generous pay. We will also provide a housing stipend. As a 1L Clerk, you will shape your legal internship through a selection of meaningful assignments, professional events, company activities, and pro bono opportunities. This is an opportunity to work alongside exceptional professionals willing to share their deep knowledge on the diverse legal matters of a Fortune 500 Company.
This program will take place in-person, on-site at our MassMutual campuses in either Springfield or Boston, Massachusetts with hybrid opportunities available. The location is at the choice of the 1L Clerk. We are currently operating on a hybrid basis.
You will have the opportunity to work with various areas of the law, such as corporate, litigation and regulatory practices. Core Values of the team include:
- Focus on the Customer: We understand our customers well and look for every opportunity to deliver an experience that is clear, easy, personal, human, empowering and trustworthy.
- Act with Integrity: We deliver on our promises by being open, honest and humble and by adhering to the letter and spirit of applicable laws, rules, regulations and company policies.
- Value People: We respect and learn from each other’s diverse backgrounds, experiences and ideas. We engage and develop people to their greatest potential.
- Work Collaboratively: We work together to achieve results by actively listening, seeking, understanding and creating solutions as a unified team driving toward one company, one culture, one brand.
- Achieve Results: We focus on winning by exceeding expectations and getting better – everyone, every day.
We seek and value unique and varied perspectives and experiences because we believe we are stronger when all voices are heard. We invite you to bring your bright, innovative ideas to MassMutual and be empowered to reach your professional and personal goals.
Examples of past assignments include: artificial intelligence research, attending and supporting depositions, working on venture capital and private equity transactions, tax research and analysis and many more. The program will also include opportunities to network with various law firms in the Boston area.
The Minimum Qualifications
- Enrolled in an ABA accredited law school as a first-year law student for the 2023-2024 academic year
- Authorized to work in the U.S. without requiring sponsorship, now or in the future
The Ideal Qualifications
- Strong critical thinking, discretion, and analytical skills
- Ability to perform complex legal research and analysis and to advise on results
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated organizational skills with ability to manage multiple competing priorities
- Demonstrated involvement in law school and community (leadership roles a plus)
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the legal profession
Who You Are:
- Inquisitive and resilient, with a positive attitude and willingness to learn
- Ethical, with sound judgment
- Excellent team and interpersonal skills
- Interested in in-house or law firm practice
What to Expect as Part of MassMutual and the Team
- Regular meetings with the 1L Committee members
- Access to mentorship opportunities
- Networking opportunities including access to Asian, Hispanic/Latinx, African American, women, LGBTQ, veteran and disability-focused Business Resource Groups
- Access to learning content on Degreed and other informational platforms
- Your ethics and integrity will be valued by a company with a strong and stable ethical business with industry leading pay and benefits
Each application should include a statement of the candidate’s commitment to and support of diversity, equity and inclusion.
#LI-SC1MassMutual is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer Minority/Female/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Individual with Disability/Protected Veteran. We welcome all persons to apply. Note: Veterans are welcome to apply, regardless of their discharge status.
If you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact us and share the specifics of the assistance you need.