Head of Sustainability Stewardship, VP - (State Street Global Advisors) - Hybrid>
Who we are looking for
The Asset Stewardship team is responsible for developing and implementing the firm’s proxy voting and engagement guidelines, managing issuer engagement, and undertaking research and analysis of governance and sustainability related issues. As a senior member of State Street Global Advisors’ (SSGA) Asset Stewardship team, the individual in this role will be responsible for managing activities associated with SSGA’s sustainability efforts as a fiduciary. This role requires significant cross-organizational leadership and teamwork skills to: i)Refine Asset Stewardship team’s perspectives on sustainability issues within the context of our fiduciary duty and in alignment to our value-based approach to Asset Stewardship ii) Help develop Voting and Engagement Policy and Guidelines in assessing Environmental & Social (E&S) factors, and analyzing and voting on E&S proposals iii) Establish and manage a team to support such efforts. This role is based in Boston.
This role can be performed in a hybrid model, where you can balance work from home and office to match your needs and role requirements.
Why this role is important to us
The team you will be joining is a part of State Street Global Advisors, one of the largest asset managers in the world. We partner with many of the world’s largest, most sophisticated investors and financial intermediaries to help them reach their goals through a rigorous, research-driven investment process. With over four decades of experience and trillions of dollars in assets under management, we offer one of the broadest selections of services across asset classes, risk profiles, regions and styles. As pioneers in index, ETF, and ESG investing, we are always inventing new ways to invest.
Join us if making your mark in the asset management industry from day one is a challenge you are up for.
What you will be responsible for
As Head of Sustainability Stewardship, VP you will
- Promote the firm as a global leader of sustainability issues, as a fiduciary, through policy development, thought leadership papers, and public speaking opportunities
- Develop and implement SSGA’s asset stewardship sustainability positions and conduct research and analysis of sustainability related issues
- Participate in sustainability related company engagements and provide input to sustainability-related voting activities
- Establish sustainability stewardship narrative and work together with senior leaders to communicate to client base and wider stakeholders
- Build strong relationships with key stakeholders to understand sustainability landscape to ensure that stewardship program is staying abreast of client expectation, market best practice, and regulations
- Assist in the analysis of sustainability related regulations/governmental expectations, and share insights with the broader stewardship team
- Work with broader business to integrate and support sustainability efforts
- Manage and develop talent of a team of analysts
- Ensure broader team is trained with sustainability acumen to support our stewardship activities
- Collaborate closely with the Global Head of Asset Stewardship to ensure success of our overall stewardship program
Education & Preferred Qualifications
- Strong understanding of a value-based approach to stewardship, especially with respect to environmental and social issues.
- 7+ years of experience in proxy voting and company engagement or in related field
- Ability to effectively navigate an increasingly complex environment and stay focused on our core fiduciary responsibility
- Proven ability to build a high-performing team to achieve desired results. The candidate should have a track record of effectively managing individuals and leading initiatives from start to finish.
- Exceptionally strong written and verbal communications skills with an engaging personality. Ability to present information in an organized and clear fashion.
- Track record of effectively engaging with key stakeholders would be beneficial.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work independently and within a team setting.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment, demonstrating initiative and the ability to prioritize workloads.
- Candidates must be detail oriented.
- Graduate degree in a relevant discipline (e.g. business, economics or finance) and/or CFA designation (or willingness to pursue these designations) would be preferred.
Are you the right candidate? Yes!
We truly believe in the power that comes from the diverse backgrounds and experiences our employees bring with them. Although each vacancy details what we are looking for, we don’t necessarily need you to fulfil all of them when applying. If you like change and innovation, seek to see the bigger picture, make data driven decisions and are a good team player, you could be a great fit.
About State Street Global Advisors
What We Do. As the asset management arm of State Street Corporation, State Street Global Advisors has served the world’s governments, institutions and financial advisors for over four decades. With a rigorous, risk-aware approach built on research, analysis and market-tested experience, we build from a breadth of active and index strategies to create cost-effective solutions. As stewards, we help portfolio companies see that what is fair for people and sustainable for the planet can deliver long-term performance. And, as pioneers in index, ETF, and ESG investing, we are always inventing new ways to invest. As a result, we have become one of the world’s largest asset managers with trillions of dollars under our care.
Our Mission. At State Street Global Advisors our mission is to invest responsibly to enable economic prosperity and social progress. We are driven by a desire to help our clients, and those who rely on them, achieve a better future. We have a long history of developing innovative investment strategies to provide our clients with reliable and transparent returns, cost-effectively, and without excessive risk.
Work, Live and Grow. We make all efforts to create a great work environment. Our benefits packages are competitive and comprehensive. Details vary by location, but you may expect generous medical care, insurance and savings plans, among other perks. You’ll have access to Flexible Work Programs to help you match your needs. And our wealth of development programs and educational support will help you reach your full potential.
Inclusion, Diversity and Social Responsibility. We truly believe our employees’ diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives are a powerful contributor to creating an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive and reach their maximum potential while adding value to both our organization and our clients. We warmly welcome candidates of diverse origin, background, ability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and personality. Another fundamental value at State Street is active engagement with our communities around the world, both as a partner and a leader. You will have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, matching gift programs and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you.
State Street is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Company: State Street Global Advisors
Salary Range:$110,000 - $185,000 Annual
The range quoted above applies to the role in the primary location specified. If the candidate would ultimately work outside of the primary location above, the applicable range could differ.