Engineering Frameworks Manager
Title: Engineering Manager
Reports To: Vice President, Engineering
FLSA Status: Exempt
Accountable for the overall development and maintenance of one or more components of Charles River’s Investment Management Solution. This includes providing engineering vision, expertise and guidance on software construction while ensuring uncompromising quality and usability. The Engineering Manager is also responsible for driving cross product efficiency and effectiveness in ultimate service to our customers. This is done through building collaborative cross organization relationships and leading a minimum of 5 engineering scrum teams.
- Manage team leads and/or development team staff, including assignment of work items, employee performance, engagement and professional development
- Lead technical and business initiatives across your product line through influence and knowledge
- Forge effective partnerships with Product Management leadership to understand customer and strategic market needs and to plan, design and develop software solutions to meet those needs.
- Drive the Agile process and create a culture of continuous improvement of processes and methodologies within and beyond the direct scope of responsibility. Partner with other directors to establish and implement best practices and effective measures. Drive organizational accountability.
- Contribute expert guidance on software development process including writing, reviewing and approving software development specifications, projects, methods and schedules
- Lead the architecture and technical direction for the area of responsibility
- Keep abreast of existing and emerging technologies impactful to CRDs business.
- Provide expert guidance and critical analysis of proposed changes during design reviews and product demos with an sharp eye towards simplicity of design and function
- Advise Directors, Team Leads and individual contributors on solving complex technical problems using modern software construction tools and techniques.
- Provide oversight on key initiatives and work packages to ensure fulfillment of product and scheduling objectives
- Coordinate with peers within the R & D organization to ensure seamless integration of functional workflows
- Review testing strategy and test plans for team’s product to ensure high product quality
- Identify improvements in team quality processes including defining new strategies, processes, and required tooling to improve quality
- Develop and maintain strong partnerships with the client services organization to help drive an effective customer experience
- Support the sales organization and assist in the execution of POCs for prospective customers
- Act as the escalation point and primary contact point for troubleshooting customer production problems and drive to quick resolution
- Analyze trends in the organization with an eye towards improving quality, team efficiency and output, and other key operational metrics I think there is something more here than being a point of contact, At this level I would looks to ensure they are looking at trends and trying to solve to repeat issues, etc.
- Act in a team lead capacity as needed
- B.S. degree (or foreign education equivalent) in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, and Physics or other technical course of study required. MS degree strongly preferred
- Required experience in high volume transaction processing
- Strongly preferred experience in engineering process optimization
- Required experience in framework development (web frameworks, ui frameworks, server frameworks)
- A minimum of 15 years of progressively responsible professional experience in a software engineering role required with a minimum of 15 years of experience in a supervisory role managing engineers, product specialists, co-ops and interns is strongly desired.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in financial services developing solutions for Portfolio Management, Trading, Compliance, Post-Trade, IBOR or Wealth Management is strongly desired
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical vision to achieve both tactical and strategic goals
- Demonstrated experience with object-oriented programming, compiler or interpreter technologies, embedded systems, operating systems, relational databases (RDBMS), scripting and new/advanced programming languages
- Demonstrated experience with cloud native development within a major cloud provider (AWS, Azure, GCP) is strongly desired
- Demonstrated experience leading teams to build large-scale, high-performance commercial database applications
- Demonstrated system level architectural skills required
- Ability to clearly and succinctly summarize results for upper management
- Demonstrated experience recruiting, hiring, and building a talented engineering team
- Demonstrated experience in organizing and running efficient meetings
- Demonstrated ability to manage solution complexity to ensure simple designs and workflows
- A minimum of 10 years working with an Agile development methodology is strongly desired
- Ability to coordinate and lead cross-team activities to deliver successful solutions
- Significant experience designing and developing large scale commercial applications is strongly desired
- Proven organizational skills, high attention to detail, and superior time management
- Strong contributor to project plans and backlog management
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
☐ Individual Contributor ☐ Team Lead ☒ Manager of Managers
Will be required on a limited basis.
Salary Range:$140,000 - $222,500 Annual
The range quoted above applies to the role in the primary location specified. If the candidate would ultimately work outside of the primary location above, the applicable range could differ.