Backend Principal Java Software Engineer
Who we are looking for
Leading technical contributor to the enhancement and maintenance of one or more Charles River IMS modules or components of an agile scrum team. Provide engineering troubleshooting assistance to customer support teams and other development teams within Charles River.
Why this role is important to us
The team you will be joining is a part of Charles River Development (or CRD), that became a part of State Street in 2018. CRD helps create enterprise investment management software solutions for large institutions in the areas of institutional investment, wealth management and hedge funds. Together we have created the first open front-to-back platform - State Street Alpha that was launched in 2019.
Join us if delivering next generation infrastructure, using emerging technologies like AI and Blockchain sounds like a challenge you are up for.
What you will be responsible for
- Technical Leadership
- Drive technical excellence by working independently to analyze, design, develop, test, and debug large and complex software enhancements and solutions within Charles River’s business and technical problem domains including modifications to core frameworks and other primary facilities critical to system operation
- Collaborate with Business Analysts and Product Managers to create simple and sustainable software solutions for complex problems
- Provide thought leadership in the design of product architecture within and beyond the team’s scope of responsibility
- Development and Testing
- Direct problem solving for projects or major phases of projects to resolve advanced software technical issues
- Provide informed guidance and critical analysis of proposed changes during code reviews
- Write unit and automation tests to ensure a high quality end product
- Identify ways of improving development test methodologies contribute to and related test methodology frameworks
- Conduct manual tests to ensure a high quality end product
- Technical Support
- Provide expert level troubleshooting on large, mission critical client implementations
- Actively assist team leaders in the agile software development process by adhering to and advancing the CRD scrum methodology, including attending all daily standups, sprint planning, backlog grooming, and retrospectives
- Plan and coordinate cross-team activities groups to complete assignments
- Advise senior management on technical strategy
- Provide mentoring to junior and senior staff
What we value
- Extensive hands-on experience in Windows application development in .NET (Framework/Core) and C#
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with ability to troubleshoot and resolve UI related issues
- Experience in Java, C++ or other object-oriented programming language is a plus
- Experience with developing applications for the financial markets is a plus (Fixed Income, Trading, FX, Risk, Portfolio/Wealth Management, Market Data, FIX, etc.)
Education & Preferred Qualifications
- A minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible professional software engineering experience
- A minimum of 7 years of development experience with Windows application development in .NET (Framework/Core) and C#
- Demonstrated experience with prominent React packages and best practices, including Redux and RxJs.
- Extensive familiarity with test standards and popular supporting frameworks such as NUnit, MSTest, Jest, Cypress, and Jasmine
- Demonstrated experience with object-oriented programming (JAVA and/or C#), compiler or interpreter technologies, embedded systems, operating systems, relational databases (RDBMS), scripting and new/advanced programming languages.
- Experience in financial services developing solutions for Portfolio Management, Trading, Compliance, Post-Trade, IBOR or Wealth Management is strongly desired.
- Demonstrated problem solving abilities involving multi-tiered, high-performance database applications.
- Demonstrated ability to design and develop simple software solutions to business and technical problems of high complexity.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to work well with peers in a collaborative team environment.
- A minimum of 5 years working with an Agile development methodology.
About State Street
What we do. State Street is one of the largest custodian banks, asset managers and asset intelligence companies in the world. From technology to product innovation we're making our mark on the financial services industry. For more than two centuries, we've been helping our clients safeguard and steward the investments of millions of people. We provide investment servicing, data & analytics, investments research & trading and investment management to institutional clients.
Work, Live and Grow. We make all efforts to create a great work environment. Our benefits packages are competitive and comprehensive. Details vary in locations, but you may expect generous medical care, insurance and savings plans among other perks. You'll have access to flexible Work Program to help match your needs. And our wealth of development programs and educational support will help you reach your full potential.
Inclusion, Diversity and Social Responsibility. We truly believe our employees' diverse backgrounds, experience and perspective are a powerful contributor to creating an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive and reach their maximum potential while adding value to both our organization and our clients. We warmly welcome the candidates of diverse origin, background, ability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and personality. Another fundamental value at State Street is active engagement with our communities around the world, both as a partner and a leader. You will have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, matching gift program and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you.
State Street is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Salary Range:$110,000 - $185,000 Annual
The range quoted above applies to the role in the primary location specified. If the candidate would ultimately work outside of the primary location above, the applicable range could differ.