Global Head of Internal Communications, Managing Director - State Street Bank & Trust
Title: Global Head of Internal Communications, Managing Director - State Street Bank & Trust
Across the globe, institutional investors rely on State Street to help them manage risk, respond to challenges through solutions, and drive performance and profitability. We keep our clients at the heart of everything we do, and smart, engaged professionals are essential to our success.
State Street is looking for a Global Head of Internal Communications. The Internal Communications team is a group of dynamic communications professionals who are charged with broad-scale communications to all State Street employees worldwide (approximately 50,000 across 30+ countries). We communicate our strategy, vision, and goals – as well as items needed for day-to-day success (e.g. employee resources, benefits and engagement topics, business continuity information, company events, business updates, special programs, etc.).
This is a great opportunity to lead a high-performing, global team working to make a positive difference and enable a better employee experience. The successful candidate will be a seasoned communications professional with experience working at a large and highly-regulated organization. Candidate should have experience working with the C-suite and also have crisis communications experience. The candidate must have demonstrated managerial skills and capabilities to successfully lead a diverse, global team.
As the Global Head of Internal Communications, the candidate will play a pivotal role in shaping and executing the communication strategy to engage, inform, and align our diverse workforce. Responsibilities will include developing and implementing internal communication plans that effectively convey the company's vision, mission, and strategic initiatives to employees at all levels, including effectively cascading clear messages to various employee segments. The successful candidate will collaborate closely with senior leadership, craft clear, consistent, and compelling messages to enhance organizational culture, foster employee engagement, and promote understanding of key business objectives.
In this leadership position, the successful candidate will oversee the management of various communication channels, ensuring that communication materials are tailored to resonate with different audiences within the company. The Head of Internal Communications will also manage crisis communication strategies, providing timely and transparent information during critical situations. With a keen eye for innovation, this leader will explore new approaches to enhance communication effectiveness, ultimately contributing to a cohesive and informed internal community within the organization.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Develop the internal communications strategy for State Street to ensure employees understand our purpose, strategy and associated priorities so they can execute in support of our clients and shareholders.
- Developing a communication strategy on our unique employer value proposition and culture to drive employee pride, belonging, and overall sentiment.
- Manage and oversee communications that employees access across internal channels including email, newsletters, digital signage, corporate intranet, internal social media, and events such as Town Halls.
- Write and manage/oversee internal communications (blogs, speeches, video scripts, and talking points) for State Street’s senior executive team.
- Serve as a core member of the crisis management team and manage our company-wide response to employees on crises as they arise; consult on local business continuity employee communication efforts as needed in partnership with Business Continuity teams.
- Work closely with Global Marketing and Investor Relations to ensure internal messages align with external content.
- Manage a global team of 15-20 employees.
Why this role is important to us
The team you will be joining plays an important role in the overall success of the organization, keeping employees informed, engaged and motivated. Our purpose is to help create better investment outcomes for the world’s investors and the people they serve – and a strong employee communications function is vital to our success.
Join us if you want to be part of a dynamic global team doing important work that makes a difference to employees each day and helps shape our company’s future as a leader in the industry.
What we value
These skills will help you succeed in this role:
- Strong organizational and leadership skills to oversee a global team with multiple deliverables in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills and ability to manage team of communication professionals and coach for continuous improvement.
- Ability to take complex subjects and distill to communicate across a range of audiences.
- Excellent collaboration, stakeholder management, and interpersonal skills.
- 15+ years of demonstrated communications experience working with C-suite on communications; ability to influence courageously.
- Creativity, problem-solving skills, and resiliency needed.
- Strong track record of creating larger communications strategies while maintaining an execution-oriented mindset.
- Proven ability in generating compelling points of view, strategies, and content ideas.
- Ability to orchestrate the right messages for the right audiences in the right channels.
- Understanding of financial services is a plus, but not required.
This role would be based in our headquarters in Boston (at least 4 days in the office, 1 day remote).
Are you the right candidate?
We truly believe in the power that comes from the diverse backgrounds and experiences our employees bring with them. Although each vacancy details what we are looking for, we don’t necessarily need you to fulfil all of them when applying. If you are passionate about communications, like change and innovation, seek to help others see the bigger picture, make data-driven decisions, and are a good team leader and team player, you could be a great fit.
About State Street
What we do. State Street is one of the largest custodian banks, asset managers and asset intelligence companies in the world. From technology to product innovation, we’re making our mark on the financial services industry. For more than two centuries, we’ve been helping our clients safeguard and steward the investments of millions of people. We provide investment servicing, data & analytics, investment research & trading, and investment management to institutional clients.
Work, Live, and Grow.
We make all efforts to create a great work environment. Our benefits packages are competitive and comprehensive. Details vary by location, but you may expect generous medical care, insurance and savings plans, among other perks.
Inclusion, Diversity and Social Responsibility.
We truly believe our employees’ diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives are a powerful contributor to creating an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive and reach their maximum potential while adding value to both our organization and our clients. We warmly welcome candidates of diverse origin, background, ability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, and personality. Another fundamental value at State Street is active engagement with our communities around the world, both as a partner and a leader. You will have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, matching gift programs, and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you.
State Street is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Salary Range:$170,000 - $267,500 Annual
The range quoted above applies to the role in the primary location specified. If the candidate would ultimately work outside of the primary location above, the applicable range could differ.